Crowns and Bridges
Dental crowns and bridges are common dental cosmetic alternatives used to restore teeth that have been weakened or replace teeth that are missing or have been extracted. Dental crowns are a type of “cap,” used to restore a tooth from the gum line up. Dental bridges consist of a prosthetic, artificial tooth that “bridges” the space in which one or more natural teeth used to be.
Benefits of Crowns
- Strengthens weakened teeth. Crowns have the ability to cover, support, and strengthen a tooth that has been significantly weakened by decay or trauma. Crowns can even protect a weak tooth from fractures or breaks.
- Supports larger fillings. If a tooth is not strong enough—or there isn’t enough of a tooth—to hold a large filling, a crown is used to support it.
- Attaches dental bridges in place. Crowns are used as anchors to secure a bridge in place.
- Improves a tooth’s appearance. Porcelain crowns can be used to improve the appearance of a badly shaped, chipped, cracked, broken, or discolored tooth.
Benefits of Bridges
- Improves your smile. Dental bridges are used to replace natural teeth that have been missing or removed, improving your smile.
- Restores function. Bridges are used to restore regular function, such as biting, chewing, or speaking.
- Prevents teeth from shifting. Bridges prevent adjacent teeth from shifting into the location of the previously missing tooth.
Dental Crown and Bridge Procedure
- Preparing for the crown/bridge – During your visit, we will take impressions and molds of your teeth that will later be sent to a professional dental laboratory.
- Making the crown/bridge – A specialized dental technician from the laboratory will create your customized crown/bridge using the impressions and molds we send them.
- Fitting the crown/bridge – Once we have received your custom-made crown/bridge, we will perform a fitting, in which we make sure the crown/bridge fits properly. Once we have determined the crown or bridge has the right fit, we will bond it in place.