Root Canal Treatment at Dental Arts KG, NY
A root canal therapy is a treatment used as a last resort to save a tooth from severe decay before it becomes necessary to extract the tooth. It is usually performed once a tooth’s pulp—which consists of soft tissues containing blood vessels, nerves, and connective tissue—becomes inflamed or infected. The treatment involves removing the infected pulp from the tooth to prevent further infection.
Benefits of Root Canal Treatment
- Saves a tooth from extraction.A root canal treatment is a way for us to rescue your tooth from decay before it becomes so severe that a tooth extraction becomes necessary.
- Prevents the spread of infection. Removing the infected pulp in your affected tooth prevents infection from spreading to nearby gums and teeth.
- Reduces pain and discomfort. The discomfort and pain that comes from inflamed pulp can be significantly reduced with a root canal treatment.
- Simple and painless procedure. Contrary to popular belief, a root canal procedure is actually quite simple and offers little to no discomfort.If your tooth requires a more complex root canal treatment, we will refer you to a root canal specialist.
Root Canal Procedure
- Removing the infected pulp – After administering a local anesthetic to the area and isolating the affected tooth, we will remove all signs of infection by removing the tooth’s infected or inflamed pulp.
- Cleaning the root canals – After we have removed the infected pulp, we will then thoroughly clean the pulp chamber and root canals of the tooth.
- Sealing the tooth – Finally, we will seal the pulp chamber and root canals with a special dental material. During a later visit, we will cover the tooth with a dental crown to further protect it from re-infection and fractures, and to restore it to full function.